Anika Therapeutics (ANIK) is a leader in tissue protection products for human joints, and the company is gaining market share. It has a new product in the FDA’s approval process and is already selling in Europe.
Management is lowering costs with manufacturing consolidation, and we believe that they have a number of exciting product development programs. We’ve initiated coverage on Anika with a BUY rating.
Here are some highlights of the company:
- Anika has developed innovative solutions for osteoarthritis with its Orthovisc and Monovisc products.
- We expect demand for osteoarthritis treatments to grow as the baby boom generation ages and desires to remain active.
- The main products are the only non-avian hyaluronic acid based products approved for injection into the joint. This enables those patients allergic to eggs or poultry to receive appropriate treatment for osteoarthritis.
- Manufacturing consolidation is lowering the company’s cost structure.
- Other hyaluronic acid based products address skin grafts, advanced wound care and surgical issues. A new product for articular cartilage generation is entering clinical trials.
- We forecast earnings growth of 14.0% in 2011 and 16.8% in 2013. We note that core earnings growth is higher. Our 12 – 18 month price target is $18.50.